|PRI is looking for an experienced Audience Engagement Specialist to join the PRI Engagement Lab and focus on building communities across a variety of brands, including our flagship PRI social accounts. Do you have a passion for building communities and engaging audiences as well as interest in international, environmental, arts and culture content?
At PRI, we are not chasing page views. We are a mission-driven company looking to develop deep loyalty and lasting relationships with readers/listeners.
The ideal candidate for this role has a strong passion for digital engagement and an understanding of social audience behaviors. He/she will plan and execute engagement opportunities to build community and make sure content resonates with readers in social media, distributed platforms and potentially IRL settings. He/she will be aware of the overall social conversation and, in response, curate content from across PRI’s newsrooms, programs and radio station partners as well as identify engagement opportunities. It’s critical this person be able to exercise good news judgment and always act with the highest regard for journalistic best practices and ethics.
The Audience Engagement Specialist will be experienced in writing for either consumer brands or publications, and have previously worked with images, infographics, video and other content for social media or online platforms and can own/maintain the voice of multiple brands. He/she should also have experience with social analytics and can act based on available data. This role will be responsible for growing PRI (and related brands) social audience and social engagement.
This is a new role at PRI and will require a self-starter. You’ll be inventing the job as you go. It is also a highly collaborative job. You’ll be helping us to change the way we work during a time of rapid transformation.
The PRI Engagement Lab was formed in 2017 to bring an audience-first approach to our work. The lab focuses on building deeper relationships with our donors, listeners, readers and station partners.
PRI is a global non-profit media company focused on the intersection of journalism, storytelling and engagement to affect positive change in people’s lives. We are creating a more informed, empathetic and connected global community by inspiring people to understand the world’s cultures, issues and events. Each day, we share powerful stories, encourage exploration and create connection by combining content and engagement opportunities to affect change. We are looking for diverse, passionate, and adventurous individuals that want to work in an innovative environment. If you are interested in making a difference in the world, please consider applying for this position!
Essential responsibilities include:
- Create compelling, social-native content that drives audience interest in and engagement with our content.
- Curate content from across PRI’s diverse portfolio of newsrooms, shows and public radio station partners.
- Build audiences for new PRI brands and drive engagement within new communities.
- Increase the diversity of PRI audiences by collaborating with and highlighting content from communities under-represented in media.
- Understand and follow best practices for social media accounts at journalistic organizations, paying particular attention to objectivity, transparency and ethics.
- Moderate comments for our existing communities to ensure discussions, particularly on Facebook, meet our guidelines and remain civil yet vibrant.
- Seek out fan/follower comments and initiate outreach.
- Use tracking tools and data to analyze user behavior, track success of our tactics, and show progress toward audience growth goals.
- Stay up-to-date on changes in social tools, algorithms and platforms, and guide continual experimentation in our social tactics.
- In consultation with PRI’s CMO and the Senior Director of PRI’s Engagement Lab, develop and refine the voice of PRI social channels in accordance with PRI brand behaviors and characteristics.
This position is full time and based at PRI’s headquarters in Minneapolis. This position is supported by restricted funding with a term of one year.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Marketing, Arts, Communications or related field.
- At least 3-5 years’ experience in digital marketing, social media or digital journalism.
- At least one year of dedicated community management and community building experience.
- Able to demonstrate strong news judgement; experience in growing a digital audience.
- A strong record writing social status copy, digital headlines or other display copy.
- Self-motivated and self-directed; ability to set and meet aggressive goals and to recognize successes and challenges associated with those goals. Highly organized with the ability to handle multiple projects and work under tight deadlines.
- Creative, out-of-the-box thinker with a desire to drive innovation.
- A master of writing memorable copy with meticulous attention to detail. Able to recognize interesting stories.
- Ability to express independent judgment to identify opportunities and to determine project guidelines, purpose, follow-through and completion.
- Familiarity with social media management tools, with TweetDeck and SocialFlow experience a plus.
- Professional experience with Google Analytics or comparable analytics tools. A quantitative background is a plus.
PRI embraces diversity and is an equal opportunity employer!
PRI: Hear a different voice™.