The City of Fridley is searching for an energetic, creative and skilled Digital Engagement Specialist that can effectively navigate the digital arena to market and promote city services, programs and facilities in new and creative ways. This is FT, 40 hours/week position, with occasional evenings or weekends. $24.51-31.29 per hour, DOQ. Apply online or download application from the City's website: www.FridleyMN.gov or call contact the Human Resources Department at City of Fridley, 6431 University Avenue N.E., Fridley, MN 55432 - (763) 572-3504. Applications must be received no later than Jan. 29, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.
*Please note: applicants must apply online at FridleyMN.gov/jobs or submit a printed city application along with a cover letter and resume in order to be considered for this opening. Candidates selected for interviews may be required to provide a portfolio of work that showcases their talents and experience.
POSITION OBJECTIVE: To assist in the planning and implementation of communications programs promoting (external and internal) the City’s vision, goals, activities and image to citizens, businesses, community organizations and community leaders by developing, distributing and updating information through web-based digital forums (internet, website, social media, intranet, blogs, cable television, etc.).
In 2014, the Fridley City Council adopted the following organizational mission: "We believe in a Fridley that is a safe, vibrant, friendly and stable home for families and businesses." In addition, City staff committed to the vision by focusing on the core values of being responsive, driven and friendly.
Responsibilities and Duties
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Assist in the City's overall communication's program efforts to meet the goals, objectives and timelines identified by the Marketing and Communications Manager.
2. Develop and implement creative and effective digital marketing strategies to promote the City, programs, community services, retail sales at Fridley Liquor Store Operations, Springbrook Nature Center, and citywide events.
3. Develop, input, and edit digital content for (including embedding graphics, links, video and photographs) for the City’s websites, blogs, emails and digital ads to support marketing objectives.
4. Continuously monitor and update the City’s website, as well as other assigned websites, such as the Springbrook Nature Center, Fridley Liquor Store Operations websites, etc. to ensure content and design is current, up-to-date, creative and proactive. Key areas include: upcoming events, calendars, homepage events, homepage newsfeed, job openings, recreation pages, police news, Newsletter page, staffing changes to directory and key contacts on department pages.
5. Capture, compile, design, edit and organize creative, fun and informational infographics as well as photographic images and video and still footage of assigned City events, programs and activities for use in a variety of formats.
6. Make seasonal updates to homepage slideshow and backgrounds.
7. Regularly research and create opportunities to better position the City’s image and branding to promote and drive traffic to the City websites.
8. Ensure content meets established digital branding and editorial guidelines/standards.
9. Train City staff on website use and promote features, including serving as main point of contact for questions, troubleshooting and/or assist with creative approaches to developing content and use.
10. Respond to requests to link information to internal and external websites and/or add outside content to City-maintained websites and SharePoint platform.
11. Assist in the production of the City Newsletter , Activities brochures, Annual Report , and other assigned printed promotional materials, including writing, editing, design, and distribution.
12. Serve on the website re-design team and as lead contact for integration.
13. Oversee and implement Alerts when activated for emergencies, weather and general alerts.
14. Help revise, monitor and enforce website and social media policies.
15. Remain current and up-to-date on market trends and changes relevant to the division.
16. Consult Marketing and Communications Manager and staff to assess needs and develop creative and effective ideas for the promotion of the City.
17. Assist in the development, direction, editing and creation of video productions and special presentations for a variety of formats (video, cable television, Powerpoint presentations, commercials, social media, commercials for radio, television, etc.) as needed.
18. Assist in developing story ideas, conduct research, perform interviews (on and off-camera), write press releases, prepare reports and monitor activity and effectiveness of promotions.
19. Monitor and analyze data collected from surveys and citizen feedback and advise in areas of improved digital engagement.
20. Safely operate assigned equipment (cameras, projection equipment, editing equipment and computers, audio equipment, lighting equipment, vehicles, etc.).
21. Attend and assist in scheduling, participating in, or coordinating events and activities to market and promote the City, as needed (e.g. ground breakings, open houses, festivals, grand openings, job fairs, etc.).
22. Prepare, organize and perform research, implement feedback surveys, and special projects, as needed.
23. Provide positive customer service and assist in answering phones and respond to requests for information and service from the public, staff and outside agencies or businesses related to marketing, communications, municipal television, etc.
24. Provide reliable transportation to commute between City facilities, events and activities as well as safely operate any assigned City vehicles and maintain a good driving record.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Represent the City in meetings or serve as a liaison with outside agencies and at public events, meetings or programs, as needed.
2. Assist in data entry, updating and monitoring other information systems (i.e. recruiting and onboarding software, laserfiche, program registration, facility rentals, records management, etc.)
3. Assist in recording and production of City Council meetings and public broadcasts, as needed.
4. Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
1. Minimum 18 years old.
2. Two years post high school training and/or education in web design or similar field of study. Degree in public relations, journalism, communications or related field or a combination of two-year degree with required experience.
3. Two years’ experience in digital marketing or social media analytics.
4. Experience with website content management software or website design.
5. Experience with Adobe Photoshop required.
6. One to two years’ experience in website and social media coordination, including video production.
7. Possess a valid driver's license with good driving history.
8. Ability to work flexible work hours that would periodically include some evenings and weekends.
9. Demonstrated experience in being creative, self-directed as performed collaboratively with a variety of different groups, levels and agencies.
10. Finalist will be required to successfully complete and pass a thorough criminal background investigation and reference check process along with a pre-placement physical exam and drug/alcohol test. Additional testing may be required.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS :
1. Experience with SharePoint or Adobe Illustrator.
2. Previous experience in promoting and marketing at the municipal government level or other public sector level.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Knowledge of effective communication and marketing concepts, approaches and techniques, including social media, websites, video production, etc.
2. Knowledge of proper grammar, sentence structure, punctuation, and spelling.
3. Knowledge of the principles and practices of graphic design, desktop publishing and web-based publishing as well as print production.
4. Knowledge of personal computers, video editing machines, cameras, lighting and sound equipment.
5. Knowledge of Microsoft office suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
6. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
7. Ability to deal tactfully and positively with the general public, elected officials, businesses, outside agencies, media outlets and City staff.
8. Ability to manage complex projects, schedules, timelines and meet deadlines.
9. Ability to work independently and prioritize work.
10. Ability to work collaboratively, cooperatively, and positively in a team environment.
11. Ability to provide excellent customer service.
12. Ability to handle, discern and maintain confidentiality and propriety information as required and in compliance with policies and directives.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
The compensation for this position is $24.51 to $31.29 per hour DOQ. Work schedule is generally Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with some overtime required or the ability to attend meetings and events after normal business hours. Benefits include a variety of options, paid entirely or in part for the employee by the City, which includes life, health, and dental insurance; short-term disability; eighteen (18) days of annual leave per year; eleven (11) paid holidays per year; employee wellness program; as well as the employer's share of payments to workers' compensation, unemployment compensation, and Public Employees Retirement Association. Additional voluntary benefits include a flexible spending account program, supplemental life insurance for employee, spouse, and dependents, long-term disability, and special events/activities organized by the Employee Relations Committee.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $24.51 to $31.29 /hour
- website: 2 years
- marketing: 2 years