|American Public Media (APM) is one of the largest producers and distributors of public radio programming in the world, with a portfolio that includes BBC World Service, Marketplace, and the leading classical music programming in the nation. APM also offers a diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, business and investigative journalism.
The project coordinator helps to design and execute programs and projects for the Water Main, a new content initiative from American Public Media developing new media models for engaging communities on important topics. The project coordinator is a critical member of the Water Main team, working across the full range of the initiative's efforts to provide critical project management, financial, events, production, and logistics support. Additionally, the project coordinator provides administrative support to the Managing Director of the Water Main. We're looking for an entrepreneurial self-starter who thrives in flexible, dynamic and ambiguous environments. The position is based at APM headquarters in St Paul.
Application deadline: January 24, 2018
Serves as a first point of contact for the Water Main for internal and external stakeholders. Participates in collaborations with different parts of APM (Events, Digital, Community Engagement, Content) on the development and execution of projects, ranging from events to radio to digital.
Budget + Grants Management
- Coordinates the development and execution of all aspects of internal and external events and meetings.
Provides financial support to the Water Main budget, including preparing, tracking and reporting, ensuring accurate expense processing, and communicating budget issues. Manages grants for the Water Main, tracking schedules and progress against goals and objectives. Supports grant reporting.
Manages the Water Main's contact database through Salesforce.
Required Education and Experience:
- Manages development and production of reports and presentations through desktop publishing applications including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and other necessary software applications; ability to summarize and present. Provides daily administrative support for the managing director, including calendar management, correspondence, travel arrangements, expense processing, contractor expense management, HR and payroll matters.
Bachelor's degree. Three years' work experience in related fields Significant experience using MS Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and database software Accounting background and/or demonstrated ability in managing budgets
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Warm, confident, and diplomatic approach to interpersonal relationships. Comfortable in an environment of change, creativity, complexities, and multiple tasks. Detail oriented and well-organized, able to coordinate complex projects. Self-starter with strong writing and financial management skills. Strong collaborative management skills. Strong coordination and planning skills.
- Excellent organizational skills; effective with details and deadlines.
- Ability to work independently while maintaining effective communication and accountability.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with colleagues in multiple departments/divisions.
- Demonstrated high degree of confidentiality.
- Experience with MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint.
- Ability to learn new applications as required.
Experience with journalism, media, or communications. Knowledge of public radio, or experience in other non-profit media companies an advantage. Experience with project and financial management a plus.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation This position may require travel outside MN Physical demands: Required to walk, sit, and stand; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch; Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping. Working conditions: Moderate noise level, occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.