1517 Media is a multimedia company, comprised of four talented, creative imprints: Augsburg Fortress, Fortress Press, Sparkhouse and Sparkhouse Family. We are the Publishing House of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), and together we create books, bibles, and videos that renew Christian life and community.
Sparkhouse Family publishes high-quality children’s books that help kids thrive emotionally, socially, and spiritually.
Director of Marketing
The Director of Marketing position is responsible for driving brand awareness and rapid topline growth through brand management, channel development and optimization, direct and trade marketing, as well as publicity and social media.
The Director of Marketing will:
- Lead marketing communications strategy, campaign planning, execution, monitoring, and analysis of the brand and its products with support of marketing team
- Coordinate trade marketing and sales efforts with key retail and distribution partners in general and Christian markets
- Manage publicity and social media marketing strategy and execution in coordination with marketing team staff
- Guide the effective use of a range of marketing tactics/tool including print, e-mail, web, social media, SEO, etc. Ensure that team stays abreast of emerging marketing trends.
- Manage internal and external creative talent to deliver breakthrough work on time and on budget.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of marketing initiatives using a variety of data sources.
- Achieve annual quantitative goals (including sales, customer retention, market share, etc.) for assigned product lines.
- Participate in the annual budget and revenue forecasting process. Manage assigned portions of marketing department budget.
- Contribute to the evaluation of new project acquisitions, partnerships, and series development with development teams.
- Supervise, guide, and develop marketing team members to reach imprint goals.
Seeking Directors of Marketing with:
- Commitment to 1517 Media mission, vision, and values.
- Desired education and experience:
- B.A. in Marketing or other closely related field
- 5-7 years managing the strategic marketing of a brand and related products
- Experience in book trade or consumer publishing or related media fields is critical; experience in religious or children’s publishing specifically is desirable
Desired knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to manage simultaneous projects with demonstrated attention to detail
- Must be able to judge creative work, interfacing with development and evaluating product concepts to ensure alignment with overall goals.
- Must be able to thrive in a highly collaborative environment
- Strong presentation skills, experience training/educating teams on products and/or marketing campaigns a plus
- Strong history of making breakthrough creative decisions in brand campaigns.
- Proven channel development and management skills.
- Strong working knowledge of various social media platforms.
- Requires familiarity with religion and religious life.
Please include your resume and cover letter with your application.
1517 Media offers a competitive salary and a full list of benefits, including vacation for new employees, sick time, health, retirement, a pre-tax transportation program, and no-cost gym access in the 510 Marquette fitness center. You will work in a fun and creative environment with a talented group of individuals that have a passion for their work. The beautiful, newly-designed corporate headquarters hosts 100 employees in downtown Minneapolis with adjacent access to Light Rail and MetroTransit bus lines.