The Photo/Video Assistant is responsible for assisting on both video and photographer productions for the agency and more specifically, its in-house studio, including prepping, on set and post production/file management tasks. The right person will bring lighting, equipment and production knowledge to the studio, but also be interested in continuing to build on those skills – learning new technologies and ways of doing things to make the studio as current and productive as it can be. The studio assistant is a technical production position (not a PA position) and requires someone who has a “first in, last out” mentality and a great attitude working with all kinds of agency people, clients, crews and studio staffers.
- Create and maintain strong relationships with the studio staff. The assistant will need to find that perfect niche with all of the shooters and the studio producer and provide each with the kind of service they need to best do their jobs
- Take direction from the studio staff and understand that no job is too small – cleaning and making coffee are the responsibility of everyone
- Represent the agency in a highly professional manner at all times, especially when in the company of clients
- Maintain and grow outside vendor relationships to make sure the studio and agency get the most appropriate equipment at the best prices both for rental and purchase
- Understand and work productively with the other internal capability groups at the agency (editorial, production) to make a seamless production pipeline from the studio to the agency and keep profits coming to the agency as a whole
- Act as an ambassador with all visitors and agency personnel, to reinforce the professional, creative, efficient and fun qualities of the studio space and staff.
- Maintain existing equipment data and inventory and communicate when new gear is needed in an articulate and accurate way.
- Manage pack lists for all projects and update forms as needed, being sure to organize gear and not leave anything behind.
- Be proactive instead of reactive concerning studio needs, issues and ongoing projects.
- Archiving, file management and the quick and friendly delivery of assets to the agency
- Act as an ever evolving resource to the studio and agency producers regarding industry trends, new technology and other production/technical innovations.
- Maintain a positive attitude and be happy to take direction from you co-workers, outside crew and clients
- Bring forward new technologies/creative ideas that could elevate the creative on projects
- Consider fresh ways of doing things that could promote efficiencies in the production process for the studio or the agency
- Contribute to the studio’s social media and web presence with the team, by contributing time and your work to our Instagram, Email updates, Studio portfolio and Agency website
- Assist on internal agency projects including new business pitches, PR and HR initiatives
- Video and photo assistant experience
- Knowledge of Canon camera systems, Sony FS7 systems
- Software experience with Mac, Capture One, Adobe CC, Adobe Premiere and others
- Understanding of asset types, file naming and delivery methodology
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to perform under tight deadlines
- Solution-oriented creative problem solver
- Ability to work collaboratively with many personalities
- Flexibility with hours and ability to travel when required
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- 1-3 years video/photography assisting or shooting experience
- Knowledge of video/photography equipment and general studio protocols