We are Velan Studios, an independent game developer with a passion for the unconventional. We make games in a variety of genres with accessibility and depth to delight our audiences, no matter who they are. At Velan, we believe in maintaining a collaborative, diverse, and creative team environment and we’re looking for capable and dynamic new members to join our team of experienced AAA console developers.
We are seeking an experienced Audio Design generalist who is comfortable working in multiple contexts on a variety of sound design tasks for our growing studio.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work closely with the Game Director, Designers, Artists and Programmers to create and implement sound assets that match the aesthetic and technical specifications of both Original and Existing IP game projects.
- Establish audio design rules/guidelines based on the aesthetic goals and intended gameplay design.
- Create and maintain audio technology documentation.
- Integrate feedback from leads, user tests, and QA reviews into your work.
- Interactive and linear sound effects design, music editing, dialogue editing, processing and mixing.
- Troubleshoot audio issues and work within established memory budgets and performance requirements across multiple platforms.
- Collaborate with programmers to improve existing technology and develop new features.
Qualifications and Skills
- 2+ years as an Audio/Sound Designer, or relevant experience.
- Audio editing, synthesis, processing, and mixing skills – particularly with sound effects and dialog.
- Have shipped at least one console, mobile or PC game title.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work productively and efficiently toward deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Self-direction, passion, collaboration, and creativity in your work.
- A strong sense of design aesthetic and understanding of how audio compliments design.
- Technical understanding of sound design pipelines and scripting.
- Knowledge and experience of at least one current industry standard pro-audio tool, such as Pro Tools, Sound Forge, etc.
- A strong understanding of current generation console audio functionality and capabilities.
- Strong technical and troubleshooting skills.
- A portfolio that demonstrates user-centered design approaches, interaction design standards, and methodology.
- Experience with scripting languages and or C/C++ Programming.
- Expertise with 3D Level Editing tools and/or middleware.
- Other areas of game development expertise to contribute on different teams and/or projects.
- Experience with mentorship in a leadership position.
- Music Composition expertise
- An interest in design and technology trends, especially as applied to Interactive or Mixed Reality applications.
What We Would Like to See in Your Portfolio Reel:
- 3-5 minute video file with footage from games/products on which you’ve worked
- A cue sheet or superimposed text explaining your contributions to the footage
- A diverse selection of footage including various types of work
This position includes medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as participation in Velan's 401k plan.
Job Type: Full-time