Writer/Multimedia Content Producer
The George Mason University Office of Advancement and Alumni Relations invites applications for a Writer/Multimedia Content Producer. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
George Mason University seeks a Writer/Multimedia Content Producer to work on the Faster Farther fundraising campaign team. Reporting to the director of advancement communications, this position will concept, author, and produce stories and content about Mason donors and alumni for use on multiple platforms: print, video, web, mobile, and social media.
- You are an excellent writer and versatile content producer who can blend words, video, photography, and digital content to tell great stories;
- You can think and plan holistically from idea to execution to measuring impact on our key audiences;
- You bring a fresh eye and a compelling storytelling style that fits Mason’s brand as an innovative, up-and-coming research university;
- You are able to work collaboratively to brainstorm ideas, and then independently manage projects, including interviewing subjects, writing copy, collecting images or video, producing and editing content, and adapting content across all platforms;
- You are a creative thinker, responsible, a people person, and get along well with others; and
- You believe in the mission of George Mason University to pursue excellence and bring access to higher education to all.
- Identify and research story ideas from across the university; conceive how they can be created and delivered for multiple content platforms. Find ways to convey the emotional impact of philanthropy and how donors make a difference in people’s lives;
- Interview donors, faculty, students, and alumni. Able to put people at ease in an interview setting in order to draw out their true story; and
- Develop a variety of communications materials that build positive relationships with donors, alumni, and other university stakeholders.
- Write and edit stories and other copy for the Faster Farther website (fasterfarther.gmu.edu), Spirit magazine, e-newsletters, donor stewardship materials, reports and other fundraising communications.
- Assess needs for audio and video gear, hardware and software in order to set up a small-budget in-house video production shop; and
- Conceive, shoot, edit, and produce short video pieces (< 4 minutes), typically with quick timelines (< 3 weeks). Use video editing programs such as Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro for final production.
- Shoot digital images to illustrate stories for online use.
Digital Content Production:
- Create and manage production schedules so that projects and assignments are well-managed and delivered on time; and
- Curate and publish content across all Faster Farther campaign platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, visual/media arts, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated relevant experience producing multimedia content, with examples of prior work;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with experience writing and editing feature stories and profiles;
- Video production: able to conceive, shoot, and produce short, compelling video pieces. Includes basic proficiency in pre-production, production (e.g. lighting, audio) and post-production (editing, voiceover, graphics, and video compression for the web). Familiar with video editing programs such as Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro;
- Ability to work independently, manage and prioritize multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and show excellent attention to detail;
- Ability to understand and synthesize complex materials in order to produce compelling content for a range of diverse audiences; and
- Discretion and high standard of ethics in handling sensitive or confidential material involved with the fundraising process.
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02686z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload:
- Cover letter explaining your fit for this position;
- Resume with a link to online portfolio showing examples of multimedia work (video, web, photography);
- List of three professional references with contact information; and
- Two writing samples.